Membership is open to individuals at all levels of genealogical experience. Meeting with others who share an interest in genealogy is fun as well as informative.
As of 1 January 2018, Annual Membership Dues are:
- Individual = $25.00 per year.
- Family = $25.00 for first member plus $10.00 for each additional designated family member at the same address per year.
- Sponsor = $25.00
Any organization interested in furthering the interests of genealogy in Lee County may become a Sponsor.
That organization shall receive a copy of the Scribe but shall not have a voice on the Board of Directors or have the right to vote.
PLEASE NOTE: A $3.00 charge is added to the initial enrollment year for each new membership.
Our membership year runs from January through December.
New members joining after October 1st of the current year will receive the balance of the year free with paid membership through the following year.
Monthly meetings are held on the third Thursdays at 10:00 a.m. in the Fellowship Hall of Cypress Lake Presbyterian Church, 8260 Cypress Lake Drive, Fort Myers. News and Announcements begin at 10:00 a.m. followed by a short break and a program. At each meeting a presentation on various topics of genealogical interest or historical information to supplement members’ research is given. Meetings are free and open to the public. Members and guests are encouraged to arrive when doors open at 9:30 a.m. to:
- network with meeting attendees,
- visit Shirley's Table for the latest "gently loved" genealogy reference materials including books, newsletters, periodicals and magazines;
- visit Rea's Information Table for help with a look-up.
Members also have opportunities for networking by attending the Special Interest Groups held in various locations in the Fort Myers area. These informal discussion groups are a forum for LCGS members to share research, ask questions and participate in problem solving. Enjoy the friendship and fellowship of people who share your concerns, needs and interests, and who will delight in your research progress.
Our newsletter The Scribe, is published in February, April, June, August, October and December. It contains articles of interest to researchers on a variety of current topics, announces future programs, and provides helpful hints on computer research. Our newsletter is sent to members via email as well as posted in our "Members Only" section.
For those of you that would like to receive a printed copy of the newsletter via postal mail, the Board of Directors has approved a $10.00 newsletter fee per calendar year, to cover printing and mailing costs. This fee is in addition to your yearly membership dues.
The Lee County Genealogical Society Website provides members and guests with current information.
Secure Members Only Area
- Members will have access by using their personal user name and private password.
- Find real time member contact information available.
- Member Secure Download Area where members can retrieve LCGS Bylaws, Standing Rules, Handbook documents, and more.
- Starting with our March 2010 newsletter, members with email will receive theirs by email. Members without email will receive their copy through the U.S. Postal service. Copies will also be available in the Members Download Area.
- Members will be able to stay in touch with Society business by reading the minutes of our General and Saturday Quarterly meetings online as well as our Financial Reports.
Calendar of Events – searchable events including:
- Society sponsored events including dates and locations, including information from the various special interest groups.
- Workshops, seminars and meeting of other societies in Southwest Florida and nationwide.
Surname List – searchable surname list with option of private email contact with LCGS researcher.
- All current members of the Lee County Genealogical Society are invited to submit a listing of surnames they are researching for display in our Surname List on our website.
- Surnames and places are spelled exactly as each member requests, which may lead to multiple entries if the surname or location has been found to be spelled various ways. No first names are included but many times alternative spellings are connected with the entry.
- LCGS members have the responsibility to reply directly to the email requestor who requested ancestor information.
Fort Myers Regional Library Genealogy Shelf List
- The Genealogy Department Shelf List for the Fort Myers Regional Library, located at 2450 First Street in Fort Myers, Florida, is presented as a service to library patrons and to distant researchers.
- Now search over 10,600 individual genealogy related reference items in the Genealogy Collection by Call Number, Title and Author. Materials include reference books and periodical articles.
- This shelf list is for personal use only. Reproduction of this list for commercial use is strictly prohibited.
- Presentation handouts can be easily downloaded, printed and added to your genealogy reference library.
- LCGS has developed partnerships with many Internet genealogy websites that offer assistance in genealogical research through the purchase of books, magazines and subscription services.
- We hope when you are joining or renewing services from our partners, you will remember to access them through our website.
- See our LCGS MarketPlace for more details.
Lee County, Florida Marriages 1887-1924
- Published by the Lee County Genealogical Society in 1992, this book abstracts marriage records found in the Lee County Courthouse. Included are the names of the bride and groom, their residences, marriage date, witnesses, the presiding official, and the book and page number of the original record.
- This book is currently out of print, but you can find this book digitized in the Public Download Area.
- The book is for personal use only. Reproduction of this book for commercial use is strictly prohibited.
Periodically, organized field trips to libraries or genealogical seminars in other cities are offered
Assistance from your genealogical society is as near as the telephone or computer. Members are knowledgeable about local and online resources or can direct you to someone who has the expertise you need.
Follow us on Facebook